Bold predictions are fun, and that's what my "gold" predictions were. Made on April 5, 2022, I made ten such prognostications for the 2022 season. How did I do?
1. Tony Santillan (Cin, P) Earns 20+ Saves in Cincinnati
When Tony Santillan saved a game on April 7, I felt like Nostradamus. It is possible that I took a premature victory lap that day. Who can say? The internet isn't forever, right? Alas, while Santillan went on so save four games in the first two months of the season, on pace for 12, he was never "the guy," and injury sidelined him on June 13. He did not pitch again. Miss. 0/1.
2. Spencer Strider (Atl, P) Makes a Run at National League Rookie of the Year
I was all over Strider heading into 2022, drafting him as early as November 2021 on six of my 21 Draft Champions teams. Certify this victory lap. Hit. 1/2.
3. Ramon Urias (Bal, IF) Will be a Top 20 3B
Urias was a favorite deep target for me heading into 2022 and remains so for 2023. He's a better hitter than most people realize, with a strong hard hit rate and better than average exit velocities and barrels. Per Fangraphs WAR, he was the 15th best 3B in 2022. Hit. 2/3.
4. Manuel Margot (TB, OF) Has a 20/20 Season
Margot missed nearly half of the season, but also paced well below the 20/20 prediction. Miss. 2/4.
5. Wander Franco Hits 30 Home Runs
Oof. Like Margot, Franco missed a lot of time, but also paced well below this prediction. Big miss. 2/5.
6. Juan Soto (Wsh, OF) Hits 60 Home Runs
Big whiff. 27 home runs over the full season. Miss. 2/6.
7. Myles Straw (Cle, OF) Steals 50 Bases
Another big miss. Is Straw his name, or what he uses to hit the ball? Miss. 2/7.
8. Edward Olivares (KC, OF) Will be Optioned to the Minors Fewer Than Six Times
This was the free square on the bingo card. I'll take it. 3/8.
9. Michael Lorenzen (LAA, SP) Stays Healthy and Finishes as a Top 30 SP on Pitcher List
Kudos to Lorenzen for pitching 97.2 innings, his highest since he logged 113.1 in his 2015 rookie campaign. Hopefully he can be even healthier in 2023. But this was a miss for me. 3/9.
10. Giovanny Gallegos (StL, RP) Finishes the Season as the #1 Closer in Baseball
**muted horn womp womp sound** 3/10.
Armchair Roto is an independently run site that I created for no reason other than the love of fantasy baseball. If you enjoyed this article, please consider using the links below to share and help me promote it on social media. And don't forget to sign up for updates.
Thanks for reading!